Friday, November 9, 2012

Eating Classy in Tallahassee

Last weekend was my little sister's 19th bday (I can't believe she's already 19!! Crazy!), so my mom dad and I went to visit her at FSU. 
To be honest, there was NOTHING classy about this weekend or where we ate. It's just that, after living in Tallahassee for the four years that I did, my friends and I, along with most other people in the town, learned about Tally's two common nicknames: Tallaclassy (ironically) & Tallanasty. The town for the most part is really not that nice. If you were to go visit there for the first time, you would most likely be dissapointed. That is, unless you are an FSU fan, or know about all the awesome places to go, or both. 

Anyway, we wanted to take my sister for a birthday lunch to celebrate. My mom, like me, really enjoys being healthy & trying new awesome foods. She had heard about this vegan restaurant in Tally, and wanted us to try it. She knew if she told Sarah it was vegan that she would not want to go there, so we conveniently left that part out. We figured, there will be something on the menu that she will enjoy for sure. While I am not vegan, or even vegetarian, I really enjoy vegan meals and restaurants. I've been to a couple in Pensacola, but I hadn't been to this one in Tally. 

What I knew, but my family didn't know, is that they were about to get a massive hippie culture shock. It was just the kind of crowd you would imagine at a vegan restaurant, and my sister yelled out ... "why are we here? I wanted to pick out where we ate for my birthday!". It was a very small run-down little building, with only a few meal selections, but I absolutely loved the food I ordered, which was a black bean burger with sweet potato fries, & an iced mocha (made with soy milk). The burger was made with a mix of black beans & quinoa, and I plan on recreating this recipe soon ;) 
My family all ordered the same thing, a felafel pita, because they didn't know what else to order, and they weren't too impressed. So basically they didn't enjoy their experience here- among the hippies that looked like they belonged in Portland- which, by the way, I will be visiting in mid December when my boyfriend and I move him to be with me- from Washington state to Florida. 

I'm pretty sure for a long time my family will look back at my sister's 19th birthday and think... "Hey, remember that time we went to that weird vegan place for Sarah's birthday lunch? That was an experience". 


My black bean burger with massive sweet potato fries

Personally, I would go back there for the food, but I'd have to recruit someone besides my family to go back with me. The rest of the weekend, I stayed with my sister in her dorm room, and we walked around downtown Tallahassee, and of course had to go to Momo's, another whole in the wall restaurant that has become famous for slices of pizza "as big as your head" . If you're ever in Tally, you need to go to this place. 

On the left is a picture of my slice of sun-dried tomato and portabello mushroom pizza. I promise you, it is way bigger than it looks in this small picture, and I couldn't even finish that one slice.

And that wraps up our very un-classy, but fun weekend in Tallahassee. Sometimes I miss living there... the good ole college days. But mainly, I am happy I don't live there, and that I'm done with studying forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment