Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cheap breakfast "combo": oatmeal + chia + pecans

So I am on a major budget at present, & therefore I have been eating out less and eating at home more, which is so much cheaper. I go through different breakfast moods... I'll eat oatmeal for a while & then move on to naan bread and fruit, and then maybe whole grain cereal from time to time. This week my breakfast go-to is so simple & filling (and cheap!)
I bought a HUGE container of oatmeal last time I was at Publix for a couple of reasons. One, it doesn't have all the added sugar of the flavored oatmeal packs that I just don't need, and overall it's much cheaper to buy in bulk. 
Also it's fun to make your own oatmeal combinations. I just happened to have black and white chia seeds in my cabinet (click here for more information on what chia seeds are), & I also had a bag of pecans in my freezer, straight from my grandparent's old yard in Georgia. 
I pack a 1/2 cup of the oats, a tablespoon of chia and 8 to 10 pecans together in a bag and take it to work to eat as I prepare for my day. Also, when I was at Disney World last month, I bought a huge container of tea (Alice and Wonderland tea party themed) that had 18 different flavors of tea- including black, green and herbal tea blends. Yum! So this morning I had the "Mad Tea Party" blend. 
Luckily this oatmeal blend filled me up and kept me going until lunch at 11:30. The combo of fiber from the whole grain oats, heart healthy fat from the pecans & chia (which are full of omega-3's) did the trick, and I really think that since this oatmeal blend did not have that extra added sugar, that helped with not getting hungry as quickly. 

Calorie Information

1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal: 150 calories, 3 g fat, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein
1 tablespoon chia: 65 calories, 5 g fat, 2 g fiber, 2.5 g protein
8 pecans: 78 calories, 8 g fat, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein
Total: 293 calories, 16 g fat, 7 g fiber, 8.5 g protein

After analyzing the calorie/ nutrient info, I must say that I was actually surprised by the fat content. Take note though that this oatmeal blend is very low in saturated fat- less than 3 grams (Aim for 10 g saturated fat a day or less) Also remember that this combination of healthy fat, good source of fiber and the 8.5 grams of protein is what is helping keep you full throughout the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment