Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tricolor Quinoa with Salmon & Edamame

This morning I ate a kashi bar, some carrots, and headed to the gym for 45 mins of cardio on the treadmill and some ab & arm work outs. Afterward I was super hungry and wanted to make something that would fill me up. I decided to make tricolor quinoa with salmon and edamame, one of my quick at-home meal favorites. It took just 10 minutes to prepare, and I have all the nutrition info for this meal.
For those who don't know what quinoa is, it's a whole grain with a crunchy texture that is becoming a big trend lately. Personally I love the texture. There are different kinds of quinoa, ranging in color from a light tan color to a dark brown color. The kind I used was tri-color, so a mixture of 3 different kinds/colors of quinoa.

So first I placed half a cup of quinoa and about 1/4 cup water in a medium sauce pan on medium high heat for about 8 minutes. Quinoa cooks similarly to rice. I waited until the water had been absorbed and set the quinoa to the side.
As the quinoa was cooking I microwaved the salmon, for 4 minutes, wrapped in wax paper. This is the brand I bought:
It's very reasonably priced and tastes delicous. The package contains two 3 oz salmon filets, and they are seasoned very well (and less than 250 mg sodium in one filet).

Next I microwaved half a bag (2/3 cup) of edamame for 2 minutes.
And that's basically it! I added pepper to the edamame and the salmon, and crushed red pepper to the salmon (I like spicy food)

I feel like the picture does not do this meal justice, but it was a very delicious and filling meal! I could have used just 1/4 cup quinoa to save some calories, but since I had just worked out and was pretty hungry I opted for the 1/2 cup.

Nutrition Information & Details
1/2 cup tricolor quinoa, 3 oz salmon, 2/3 cups edamame: 560 calories, 13 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 7 g fiber, 30 g protein, 75 g carbs and just 280 mg sodium in the whole meal.

If you want to cut back on the calories some, reduce the quinoa to 1/4 cup and including the salmon and edamame that will provide 390 kcals, 10.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 43 g carbs, 25 g protein.

The best things about this meal:
- Very low in saturated fat. Recommendations are to have less than 10 grams a day, and this meal has just 1 gram.
- 7 grams of fiber- will keep you full longer
- Low in sodium. 280 mg is very low for a full meal. If you go to a restaurant or a fast food restaurant, most meals will have at least 1,000 mg sodium, and the recommendation for most people is under 2,000 mg a day.
-30 grams of protein will keep you feeling full longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment