Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Epic Road Trip Part 1: Washington state

The time FINALLY came for me & my boyfriend to end our long distance relationship last month. Two years of separation is not a fun thing to go through! We moved him down to la Florida via U-haul. Oh wait let me mention that he's from Washington state. You know, literally the opposite end of the country. So that means one EPIC road trip in a massive U-haul in the middle of winter!!
Before I left I got some ideas of things that might be fun to do along the way, i.e. cool restaurants to eat at, and fun places to go. We got to do most of the things we wanted, but not everything. So here's how the trip went...

I flew from Pensacola to Dallas, & then landed in Seattle. Of course it was raining, but I love it. Seattle wasn't my final destination, I still had a short flight to catch to the opposite end of the state ~ Spokane. In the mean time between flights, I stuffed some salmon in my face (WA is known for their good salmon) and bought a "Seattle Rain Festival" cup.

On my flight from Seattle to Spokane, which is just 1 hour, they actually served us local beer and a snack. I was just amazed because airlines are being so cheap these days and don't even give you a snack sometimes anymore.

When I landed in Spokane, it was such a crazy feeling. I couldn't believe it...  no more saying good bye. It was just hard for us to imagine! Trevor and his family were there waiting for me, and we spent the rest of the evening in Spokane before driving to Moses Lake, a town in central WA where he grew up. It snowed the whole way to Moses and I was terrified! They are so used to it but I just couldn't even imagine driving in snow like that. We passed cars stuck in ditches and they were like "Oh yeah they're fine, they aren't upside down". I was like "What??"

The next day I got to build my first snowman! It was so fun playing in the snow. I'm a deprived FL girl! Hey I love the beach but I do wish it would snow sometimes.

We spent a couple more days with his family and friends before taking off on our route. Since it was winter, we had to go a longer way- instead of cutting across the midwest, we had to basically go straight south. So we planned it out this way:

Night 1: Portland

Night 2: Sacramento

Night 3: Phoenix

Night 4: San Antonio

and then we'd hopefully be home on night 5.

The best time we had was definitely in Oregon. That was just an experience in itself, so next blog will be ALL about my food adventures in Oregon. Anyway on day 1 we left mid day, after picking up some Starbucks of course ;) . It was about a 6 hour drive to Portland from Moses Lake ( it would have been shorter but being in a U-haul definitely slows you down!)

No comments:

Post a Comment