Sunday, October 21, 2012

Breakfast Sandwich + Importance of Eating Whole Foods

This morning I made an awesome sandwich with just four ingredients- whole wheat bread, hummus, cucumbers and feta cheese. What I liked most about it is that I was able to eat some veggies at breakfast, which most of us usually don't do. Of course I had to have some fresh berries with my sandwich- berries are my favorite type of fruit~ raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.

As dietitians we recommend trying to get your vitamins and minerals from actual food sources instead of supplements, and basically saving the supplements for when you are not able to get all the vitamins/minerals you need in a day from the food you eat. This is because our bodies more readily utilize the vitamins/minerals from food, and when you take supplements, you aren't always absorbing all of these essential nutrients- that's just the way our body works.
That being said, something I strive to do and recommend to anyone trying to be their healthiest, is to start creating these kind of recipes- the kind that are full of a variety of food groups, but still relatively low fat.
What I love about this meal:

  • Whole grain bread gives you lots of fiber to keep you feeling full longer, + carbs that your body needs
  • Hummus, made from olive oil, chickpeas & lemon juice, gives you good protein (from the chickpeas) and also healthy unsaturated fat from the olive oil
  • Feta cheese, while not really that low in fat, is a good source of calcium and protein. The key with higher fat ingredients is to use way less of them.
  • Cucumbers are low in calories and give you fiber & lots of vitamins (including vitamins A, C, E, K & B6) & minerals (including potassium, iron and zinc)
The best part about eating this meal, in my opinion, is that I didn't feel hungry for a few hours after eating it, which was awesome. Plus, this can be an easy go-to breakfast meal when I am feeling in a hurry or rushed to get to work (which happens almost every day). 




No comments:

Post a Comment