Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Get Spicy: Chipotle Organic Beef Tacos

I love to cook and eat at home for a couple of reasons- it's fun for me, and it's also so much cheaper than eating out. Despite what some people may say, it actually can be pretty cheap to eat healthy if you are willing to do some research about what fruits and vegetables are in season, and eat at home more often than going to restaurants.
I love making Mexican food because it's spicy and delicious. For my taco night, I got creative and changed up some things/ made part of the meal healthier than usual.

I used La Tortilla Factory's Three Seed mini soft wraps for the soft taco shells. What I like about these wraps: 1 wrap has only 50 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 8 grams of whole grain!

For the meat, I bought 1 lb of organic 92% lean ground beef. I always prefer to buy organic meat due to the fact that organic meat does not contain hormones/antibiotics that are given to animals so often now. To spice things up, I added 1 tablespoon of ground chipotle to the mix.

The Extras
-Black beans
-Fiesta rice (Knorr brand)
-Reduced fat Italian Blend cheese
- Fresh jalepenos, sliced
-Organic sweet mini peppers, sliced
-Salsa
-Freshly squeezed lime, with my lime press



It's such a simple and tasty dish, another reason I love it! Sure, you can go to a Mexican restaurant and order something similar, but it will be way higher in fat and calories. When you eat at home, you can be aware of what goes into the recipe and how many calories you are getting.


Calorie Information

2 tacos (containing 4 oz meat, 1/4 cup cheese, 2 oz salsa, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup peppers and 1 tablespoon salsa divided between the 2)
-435 kcals
-10 g fat
-39 g protein
-14 g fiber

1/4 cup fiest rice
-140 kcals
-1 g fat
- 1 g fiber
-3.5 g protein

Total: 575 kcals, 11 g fat, 42.5 g protein, 15 g fiber

This is a very filling meal that is low in fat and a good source of fiber!


No comments:

Post a Comment